Penryn Young személy
„I never kid about my warrior demigod status.”
„Oh. My. God.” I lower my voice, having forgotten to whisper. „You are nothing but a bird with an attitude. Okay, so you have a few muscles, I’ll grant you that. But you know, a bird is nothing but a barely evolved lizard. That’s what you are.”
We walk for about an hour before Raffe whispers, „Does moping actually help humans feel better?” We've been whispering since we saw the victims on the road.
„I'm not moping,” I whisper back.
„Of course you're not. A girl like you, spending time with a warrior demigod like me. What's to mope about? Leaving a wheelchair behind couldn't possibly show up on the radar compared to that.”
I dig through my pack and find the small first aid kit. In it, there are some blister packs. They're like adhesive bandages but bigger and tougher. I hand the packages to the angel. He opens one up and stares at it like he's never seen one before.
He first looks at the skin-colored side, which is a shade too light for him, then at the padded side, then back at the skin-colored side again. He puts it up to his eye like a pirate's eye patch and makes a grimace.
My lips crack into a quarter smile even though it's hard for me to believe I can still smile. I grab it out of his hand. „Here, I'll show you how to use it. Let me see your foot.”
„That's a pretty intimate demand in the angel world. It usually takes dinner, some wine, and sparkling conversation for me to give up my feet.”
That calls for a witty comeback.
„Whatever,” I say.
Okay, so I won't be getting the Witty Woman of the Year Award.
„Was that your plan all along? Show me where to go, then convince me there's nothing I can do to save my sister?”
„Actually, my plan all along was to become a rock star, travel the world collecting fan girls, and then get really fat and spend the rest of my life playing video games while the girls keep comin', thinking I look as good as I did in my music videos.” He shrugs as if to say, Who knew the world would turn out so different?
“No, it really wasn’t. It was kind of…” heartbreaking. “Heartbreaking.” I blink when I realize what just slipped out of my mouth. “I mean…” Nothing comes to mind that I can substitute for what I just said.
“Heart.” He looks deeply into the flames. “Breaking.” The sounds flow out between his lips like they’re new to him, like he’s never said them before. He nods. “Yeah. I suppose that’s one way to put it.”
– Elárulom neked, én ilyen tökéletes vagyok már az idők kezdete óta. – Olyan közel van hozzám, hogy a lehelete a fülemet simogatja.
– Ó, kérlek! Akkora az arcod, hogy alig férsz el az erdőben. Mindjárt beszorul a fejed két fa közé, és nekem kell majd megmentenem téged.
95. oldal, 13. fejezet
– Szép jó reggelt neked is! – mondja, lustán elnyújtott hanghordozással. A kezem már a fürdőszoba kilincsén, mikor még hozzáteszi: – És ha kíváncsi lennél rá, a válasz: igen.
Megdermedek, nem merek hátranézni.
– Igen? – Igen, ő volt az, aki egész éjjel a karjában tartott, vagy igen, tudja, hogy mennyire élveztem?
– Igen, velem jöhetsz – mondja, de úgy, mintha már meg is bánta volna. – Elviszlek a Fészekbe.
79-80. oldal, 10. fejezet