Marianne Daventry személy
– Mi alapján rendszerezték a könyveket?
– Nincsenek rendszerezve.
– Akkor hogyan találják meg, amit keresnek? – fordultam hátra. – Több ezer könyv van itt.
– Szeretek keresgélni. Olyan, mintha a régi barátaimat látogatnám meg.
– Maguk ketten illenek egymáshoz: épp csak annyira vadócok, hogy ne legyenek unalmasak, de azért kezelhetőek – kacsintott rám Philip.
Dühösen néztem rá. Egy lóhoz hasonlított! Micsoda szemtelenség!
I didn't want to discuss this anymore.
„Let's not talk about that. Not when the day has been so pleasant.” I forced a smile and waved the piece of grass at the view before us. „Look at all of this beauty before you. Wouldn't you rather just enjoy it?”
„I am looking at it,” he said, never taking his eyes off of me, „And I am enjoying it,” he added with a smile and a wink.
„You know, your glare is not quite the punishment you think it is,” he said.
His breath brushed my neck and made another shiver run through me. I lifted an eyebrow.
„And why is that?” I tried to keep my voice frosty.
The steps of the dance took us apart, and I had to wait, tense with anticipation, to hear his answer. Philip never looked away from me. When we finally met in the middle again, he said, „You are even more beautiful when you're angry.”
He cupped my face in his hands.
„Then listen to me, my blind, stubborn, darling friend. You stole my heart the night we met, when you sang that ridiculous song and dared me not to laugh. And every moment I have spent with you since then, you have stolen more and more of me until when you're not with me…” He drew in a breath. „ When you are not with me, I am left with nothing but longing for you.”
„You darling girl,” he murmured, tilting my chin up as he lowered his lips to mine. This time I knew enough to kiss him back. He caught his breath, and then I felt his lips to curl up into his wicked grin. It was delicious.
A few minutes later, he moved his lips from mine to kiss my cheek, the corner of my jaw, the soft spot behind my ear.
„I was just thinking about our honeymoon.” His breath tickled my neck.
„So was I,” I breathed. My heart was pounding so hard I was sure he could hear it.
Philip lifted his head to look at me, his eyes bright with amusement.
„Well, that too,” he said with a low chuckle.
I blushed as I realized what I had just admitted.
„But I was actually referring to our trip. How would you like to go to the Continent? I would give you your very own Grand Tour.”
– Rendben. Tekintve, hogy már barátok vagyunk, szólítson egyszerűen Philipnek.
– Nem szólíthatom a keresztnevén! – kiáltottam fel megdöbbenéstől fátyolos hangon.
– Könnyebben menne, ha én is Marianne-nek szólítanám?
– Csak szeretné, Marianne – villant pajkos fény a férfi szemében.
Éreztem, hogy elpirulok.
– Modortalan fráter!
– Általában nem vagyok az – kuncogott a férfi. – Csak ma este.