Ebenezer Scrooge személy
– (…) Könnyű vagyok, mint egy tollpihe, boldog, mint egy angyal, vidám, mint egy iskolásfiú, és kerge, mint egy részeges. Boldog karácsonyt mindenkinek! Boldog új évet az egész világnak!
112. oldal, Libri 2016.
“Christmas a humbug, uncle!” said Scrooge’s nephew. “You don’t mean that, I am sure?”
“I do,” said Scrooge. “Merry Christmas! What right have you to be merry? What reason have you to be merry? You’re poor enough.”
“Come, then,” returned the nephew gaily. “What right have you to be dismal? What reason have you to be morose? You’re rich enough.”
Scrooge having no better answer ready on the spur of the moment, said, “Bah!” again; and followed it up with “Humbug.”
10. oldal, Stave 1 - Marley's Ghost
– Élni akarok a Múltban, a Jelenben és a Jövőben! – ismételte Scrooge, miközben kimászott az ágyból. – Versengjen bennem ennek a háromnak szelleme. Ó, Jacob Marley! Isten és a karácsony dicsértessék ezért! Térden állva mondom ezt, vén Jacob, térden állva!
Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did NOT die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world.
91. oldal, Stave 5 - The End Of It
Scrooge never painted out Old Marley’s name. There it stood, years afterwards, above the warehouse door: Scrooge and Marley. The firm was known as Scrooge and Marley. Sometimes people new to the business called Scrooge Scrooge, and sometimes Marley, but he answered to both names. It was all the same to him.
8. oldal, Stave 1 - Marley's Ghost
“Always a delicate creature, whom a breath might have withered,” said the Ghost. “But she had a large heart!”
“So she had,” cried Scrooge. “You’re right. I will not gainsay it, Spirit. God forbid!”
“She died a woman,” said the Ghost, “and had, as I think, children.”
“One child,” Scrooge returned.
“True,” said the Ghost. “Your nephew!”
Scrooge seemed uneasy in his mind; and answered briefly, “Yes.”
35. oldal, Stave 2 - The First Of The Three Spirits